March 30, 31 and April 1
Departure rally: March 30th, 3:30 PM, Cook County Jail, Chicago
Arrival Gathering: April 1, 12-1PM, By Crete Park (Main St and 1st St), Crete IL; 1-4PM procession and actions!
ICE is negotiating with the village of Crete and Corrections Corporation of America to build a new Immigrant Detention Center. The contract has not yet been signed – and until it is, this new prison can still be stopped. A group of immigrants with and without papers will walk for three days from Chicago to Crete to oppose the Detention Center, from March 30-April 1. We are joined by friends committed to immigrant justice. We are reaching out for support from organizations large and small, from individuals and community groups. An itinerary with departure times, stopping points and arrival plans is coming soon. Walk with us, even for one mile!
WHY WE WALK – commitments
– No detention of immigrants – not in any back yard!
– Our families are being torn apart, so we walk together as one large family.
– The walk is a expression of the experiences of communities who have been criminalized – we are committed to immigrant justice and to full human rights, full dignity, for all. We do not accept the division of good immigrants vs criminals.
– No profit out of the criminalization, illegalization or incarceration of human beings
– Borders and cages do not create just and safe communities
– Detention is about dividing society into prisoners and their jailers. Creating an incarceration nation will devastate all our communities. We refuse to be the captives, and we refuse to be the captors.
– Detention is about an open market in the business of selling human lives. Detention centers are a new prison experiment, an old product re-packaged in new ways. Detention camps, concentration camps, interment camps, prisons serve the same repressive function
Please see route and schedule to learn how you can meet us along the way. Please see here for other ways you can support the walkers.
Contacts:Jose Herrera firstname.lastname@example.org 773-632-9992
Rozalinda Borcila email@example.com 813-789-0123
For Donations contact:
Father Jose Landaverde 773-512-8015
Maria Leon 773-397-9731 (Spanish)