Next meeting to oppose the Crete Detention Center, and to resist the increasing criminalization of all our communities, is Sunday, March 25 5-7 PM ,at the Justice Mission, 3442 W 26th St, Chicago
click here to download this flyer.
Call to Action: Immigrants Walk to Crete
March 30, 31 and April 1
ICE is negotiating with the village of Crete and Corrections Corporation of America to build a new Immigrant Detention Center. The contract has not yet been signed – and until it is, this new prison can still be stopped. A group of immigrants with and without papers will walk for three days from Chicago to Crete to oppose the Detention Center, from March 30-April 1. We are joined by friends committed to immigrant justice. We are reaching out for support from organizations large and small, from individuals and community groups. An itinerary with departure times, stopping points and arrival plans is coming soon. Walk with us, even for one mile!
- No detention of immigrants – not in any back yard
- Our families are being torn apart, so we come together as one large family.
- the walk is a expression of the experiences of communities who have been criminalized – we are committed to immigrant justice and to full human rights, full dignity, for all. We do not accept the division of good immigrants vs criminals.
- no profit out of the criminalization, illegalization or incarceration of human beings
- borders and cages do not create just and safe communities
- Detention is about dividing society into prisoners and their jailers. Creating an incarceration nation will devastate all our communities — we refuse to be the captives, and we refuse to be the captors, so we walk together.
- Detention is about an open market in the business of selling human lives – Detention centers are a new prison experiment, an old product re-packaged in new ways. Detention camps, concentration camps, interment camps, prisons serve the same repressive function
HOW YOU CAN WALK WITH US
- Endorse our action. Please send an email to email@example.com with the name of your organization or community group
- Use your networks to help spread the word about our efforts and about the Crete Detention center; contact your allies and invite them to add their efforts to the fight against detention . Distribute the flyer and information about the action as broadly as you can.
- Walk a mile with us; join us for gatherings and events along the way – a full itinerary will be uploaded soon, please check http://www.moratoriumondeportations.org
- Help make a small financial contribution – any little bit helps
- Stay connected with us, we will be updating the site every few days. Call us to let us know how else you would like to participate
- Develop your own actions and let us know how we can help. Rise up, rise up!