Departure rally: March 30, 3:30 PM, Cook County Jail, Chicago
Arrival gathering: April 1, 12-1PM, By Crete Park (corner of Main St and 1st St), Crete IL; 1-4PM Procession through Crete
Walk a block with us, walk a mile with us, join us for a stop along the way, or meet up with us in Crete. Below you will find the route and schedule — each day we will update as more details become available so that you can find out where we are and meet up with us. Check back often for daily updates! Also please see information and logistics for walkers.
Jose Herrera email@example.com 773-632-9992
Rozalinda Borcila firstname.lastname@example.org 813-789-0123
Friday, March 30: (Little Village, Back of the Yards, Chicago Lawn, Wrightwood, arrive in Evergreen Park)
– 3:00-3:30 – Gather at Our Lady of Guadalupe Mission, 3442 W 26th St Chicago
– 3:30-4:30 – gathering and rally at Cook County Jail, Corner of 26th St and California Ave
– 4:30 walkers step off; walk South on California, West on 45th St, South on Kedzie
– 6:00 PM – break, St Gall’s Parish, 5515 S. Sawyer Ave
– walk South on Kedzie, East on 81st St
– 9PM – arrival at St Thomas More, 2825 W 81st St – spend the night
Saturday, March 31
: (Beverly, Blue Island, Harvey, Homewood, arrive in Chicago Heights)
– 8:00 AM walkers step off; walk South on California, East on 95th, South on Western
– 10 AM, rest: Kennedy Park, Western Ave and 113th St; continue South on Western
– 11:30 AM rest in Blue Island, Western and 129th St
– walk South on Western, East on 147th St; South on Wood, East on 155, South on Center, East on 157st and reach Halsted
– 3:30-4:30 PM lunch at 15734 S Halsted St, Harvey (Stephanie’s Place)
– 4:30 PM – Holmes Park: 161st and Halsted, Harvey — rally with Human Action Community Organization
– walk South on Halsted
– 6:30-7 PM rest, Halsted and 190th St
– 9:00 PM – arrival in Chicago Heights: Nena’s Bakery/Mariscos La Laguna, 2316 Chicago Rd – dinner and spend the night
Sunday, April 1st
– 9AM walkers step off from 2316 Chicago Rd, Chicago Heights
– Walk South on Chicago/Rt 1
– 12 PM – 1PM – GATHERING/CONVERGENCE by Crete Park, corner of Main St and 1st St
– 1PM – 3PM procession through Crete with several stops for actions and messages – end at proposed detention center site
– 4PM – return to buses
WHY WE WALK – commitments
– No detention of immigrants – not in any back yard!
– Our families are being torn apart, so we walk together as one large family.
– The walk is a expression of the experiences of communities who have been criminalized – we are committed to immigrant justice and to full human rights, full dignity, for all. We do not accept the division of good immigrants vs criminals.
– No profit out of the criminalization, illegalization or incarceration of human beings
– Borders and cages do not create just and safe communities
– Detention is about dividing society into prisoners and their jailers. Creating an incarceration nation will devastate all our communities. We refuse to be the captives, and we refuse to be the captors.
– Detention is about an open market in the business of selling human lives. Detention centers are a new prison experiment, an old product re-packaged in new ways. Detention camps, concentration camps, interment camps, prisons serve the same repressive function
HOW YOU CAN SUPPORT
There are many ways you can participate or show your support for this action and join the fight against detention.
– Endorse our action and points of unity: send an email with the name of your organization or group to: email@example.com
– Use your networks to spread the word about the struggle against detention. Distribute information about the action as broadly as you can. Hold a meeting to inform your community about detention.
– Make a small donation, cash or supplies, by mail or deliver (daily, 9AM-6PM) to: Our Lady of Guadalupe Mission, 3442 W 26th St, Chicago. See contacts, below.
– Walk a mile with us or join us for gatherings along the way – please see route and schedule, and check back often as we add more details (locations and times) for stops, meeting points etc.
– Join us for the rally in Crete: April 1, 12 PM – gather in Crete Park (corner of Main St and 1st St); 1-4 PM procession through Crete.
– Bring documentation equipment and creative skills, help record the event and share your footage, so we may create an image campaign after the walk
– Offer a car ride to to the next stop en route for injured walkers or children who may need a rest
– Rise up, rise up!